Notice of Privacy Practices for Protected Health Information:
Created: Monday 9th of November 2015 09:26:20 AM
Lubbock Lighthouse is a Texas Non-Profit Corporation located at 1308 Ave Q, Suite A, Lubbock, Texas, 79401 offering information, and treatment options for those seeking assistance with substance abuse, or mental health related issues in an outpatient clinical setting. Lubbock Lighthouse does provide individual medical treatment advice or diagnosis at the time of admission. If emergency or crisis care is needed, call 911 or your local emergency services facility.
This notice describes how medical information about you may be used and disclosed and how you can get access to this information. Please review it carefully!
With your consent, Lubbock Lighthouse is permitted by federal privacy laws to make uses and disclosures of your health information for purposes of treatment, payment, and health care operations. Protected health information is the information we create and obtain in providing our services to you. Such information may include documenting your symptoms, examination and test results, diagnoses, treatment, and applying for future care or treatment.
Example of uses of your health information for treatment purposes:
A nurse obtains treatment information about you and records it in a health record. During the course of your treatment, the doctor determines a need to consult with another specialist in the area. The doctor will share the information with such specialist and obtain input.
Example of Use of Your Information for Health Care Operations:
We have required licensing and accreditation from Texas Department of State Health Services and CARF and share information with them such as quality assessment, quality improvement, outcome evaluation, protocol and clinical guidelines development, training programs, credentialing, medical review, legal services, and insurance. We will share information about you with such licensing and accreditation bodies as necessary to comply with federal requirements.
Your Health Information Rights:
The health record we maintain and billing records are the physical property of Lubbock Lighthouse. The information in it, however, belongs to you. You have a right to:
- Request a restriction on certain uses and disclosures of your health information by delivering the request in writing to our office. We are not required to grant the request but we will comply with any request granted;
- Obtain a paper copy of this Notice of Privacy Practices for Protected Health Information (“Notice”) by making a request at our office;
- Request that you be allowed to inspect and copy your health record and billing record—you may exercise this right by delivering the request in writing to our office;
- Appeal a denial of access to your protected health information except in certain circumstances;
- Request that your health care record be amended to correct incomplete or incorrect information by delivering a written request to our office;
- File a statement of disagreement if your amendment is denied, and require that the request for amendment and any denial be attached in all future disclosures of your protected health information;
- Obtain an accounting of disclosures of your health information as required to be maintained by law by delivering a written request to our office. An accounting will not include internal uses of information for treatment, payment, or operations, disclosures made to you or made at your request, or disclosures made to family members or friends in the course of providing care;
- Request that communication of your health information be made by alternative means or at an alternative location by delivering the request in writing to our office; and,
- Revoke authorizations that you made previously to use or disclose information except to the extent information or action has already been taken by delivering a written revocation to our office.
If you want to exercise any of the above rights, please contact this office in person or in writing, during normal hours. We will provide you with assistance on the steps to take to exercise your rights. You have the right to review this Notice before signing the consent authorizing use and disclosure of your protected health information for treatment, payment, and health care operations purposes.
The clinic is required to:
- Maintain the privacy of your health information as required by law;
- Provide you with a notice of our duties and privacy practices as to the information we collect and maintain about you;
- Abide by the terms of this Notice;
- Notify you if we cannot accommodate a requested restriction or request; and
- Accommodate your reasonable requests regarding methods to communicate health information with you.
We reserve the right to amend, change, or eliminate provisions in our privacy practices and access practices and to enact new provisions regarding the protected health information we maintain. If our information practices change, we will amend our Notice. You are entitled to receive a revised copy of the Notice by calling and requesting a copy of our “Notice” or by visiting our office and picking up a copy.
To Request Information or File a Complaint:
If you have questions, would like additional information, or want to report a problem regarding the handling of your information, you may contact Pete Ramos at:
Lubbock Lighthouse at 1308 Ave Q, Suite A, Lubbock, Texas, 79401 Or call 806-744-3419
Additionally, if you believe your privacy rights have been violated, you may file a written complaint at our office by delivering the written complaint to the above address. You may also file a complaint by mailing it or e-mailing it to the Secretary of Health and Human Services.
We cannot, and will not, require you to waive the right to file a complaint with the Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) as a condition of receiving treatment from the clinic.
We cannot, and will not, retaliate against you for filing a complaint with the Secretary.
Other Disclosures and Uses Notification:
Unless you object, we may use or disclose your protected health information to notify, or assist in notifying, a family member, personal representative, or other person responsible for your care, about your location, and about your general condition, or your death.
Communication with Family:
In order to disclose any information to another person, we will request that you sign a release of information for that individual, or company.
As required by law, we may disclose your protected health information to public health or legal authorities charged with preventing or controlling disease, injury, or disability.
Abuse & Neglect:
We may disclose your protected health information to public authorities as allowed by law to report abuse or neglect.
We may disclose your protected health information for law enforcement purposes as required by law, such as when required by a court order, or in cases involving felony prosecutions, or to the extent an individual is in the custody of law enforcement.
Federal law allows us to release your protected health information to appropriate health oversight agencies or for health oversight activities.
We may disclose your protected health information in the course of any judicial or administrative proceeding as allowed or required by law, with your consent, or as directed by a proper court order.
Other uses and disclosures besides those identified in this Notice will be made only as otherwise authorized by law or with your written authorization and you may revoke the authorization as previously provided.
If we maintain a website that provides information about our entity, this Notice will be on the website.